Monday, December 14, 2009

12-13-09 Shanghai China: 1351 hrs.

I have been here for a few days now. The weather is fantastic. Actually, it’s not. It’s cold, overcast and rains on and off. I have been walking around downtown for as long as I can stand it and then come back in.

 

It was a bit of culture shock coming out of an environment of vehicular madness, small stalls of food and other goods to come here to a world of tall buildings, Starbucks, KFC and what looks like many American downtown cityscapes. I know this sounds strange, but I miss the madness. I really liked Nepal and hope to get back there some day.

 

I have never been to China before. It’s never been all that high on my list of places I wanted to really but seeing how rapidly China’s economy is expanding and considering America’s relationship with this communist country, I thought it might be interesting to spend some time here. So far, it’s been ok but not as striking as the other places I have been over the last several weeks. This is in part because it reminds me so much of America.

 

I don’t think the weather will change besides the temperature dropping, like it did today but I will try to get out to the old part of the city tomorrow and see what’s happening. The streets are pretty empty today and there’s not a lot to do in the area I am staying. I walked around for quite awhile today and think I’m done with being out in the cold for awhile.

 

I have been watching BBC News on the television. Lots of coverage on the climate talks in Copenhagen. Lots of arrests. President Obama picked up his Nobel, sparking another wave of discussion as to if he deserved it or not. He was awarded the prize, it’s not like he asked for it, yet, people complain. There’s work to be done, so let’s go already.

 

I think it’s great that at least there seems to be a global dialog on climate change happening. I know that pains some people but I think it’s a good thing. It seems that many countries have cold feet about throwing down the billions it’s going to take to keep humans around a little longer.

 

Posted via email from Jim Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment