Friday, July 24, 2009

Hume, a moral philosopher

Our reading in my ethics class for Hume was from his Treatise of Human Nature-- Book 3, Part 1, Section 1.
 
I've struggled with this text.  I think i've pin-pointed the key issues to these two points
  • Hume claimes that nothing is ever present to the mind but its perceptions
  • If this is true how can impressions ever lead to more complex ideas
For some reason I can only read this [everything is perception] to only lead to pure automatons.
 
But Curtis Cate in his biography on Nietzsche noted that Hume's interest/focus was in morals and history--and that his empiricism "could be absolutely fatal for science."
 
Which then sent me back to Hume:
 
Morality is a subject that interests us above all others: We fancy the peace of society to be at stake in every decision concerning it; and 'tis evident, that this concern must make our speculations appear more real and solid, than where the subject is, in a great measure, indifferent to us.
 
I think i've been falling into a trap of focusing on some kind of Humeian theory of mind at the expense of understanding Humeian questioning of Morals.  Not that Hume doesn't have a theory of mind, or that Hume's theory of mind isn't deeply connected to his theory of morals.  I just seem to be struggling with this text a whole lot and i'm trying to back my way into a better understanding.

Posted via email from Jim Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment