Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My position on immigration

I received an email from someone who wanted to know my position on immigration and why we weren't going after the employers. 
Below is my response...
 
------------------------
 
I agree 100%.  At a number of forums I have pointed this out.  Its supply and demand-- basic economics 101.  The fact is these are economic refugee's.  If we ship one group off, two times as many are willing to take their place.  That's why I feel that the "box'em up and ship 'em out" mentality of some people is shortsighted and is throwing money away because it will not get to the root cause.
 
My position is that we need to make it a felony to hire undocumented workers.  Many businesses will assume fee's and fines for getting caught into their bottom line.  But throw someone in jail, and they'll pay some consequences in time away from family and work.
 
 I also believe legal efforts such as those in Arizona will needlessly tie up resources battling the federal government in a type of case that seems pretty clear cut in favor of the federal government (from what I've seen on this issue). 
 
I know a lot of people disagree with me on this but its my cost benefit analysis of the situation.  In a perfect world with all the time,money, and resources we wanted there are certainly some approaches that might help but in the real world we have to be careful and make sure we aren't putting small bandaides that do not fix the real problem. 
 
If you cut off the jobs, the flow of migrants will dramatically fall off and will also raise wages and quality of work environment to levels where citizens of this state will take them.

Posted via email from Jim Nichols for Senate Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment