Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Georgia's technical colleges set enrollment record

When Madison Morgan graduated in May, she knew she wanted to study medicine in college.

She was accepted to Mercer University and Young Harris College, but didn't want to take out loans to pay for four years of tuition. Instead the 17-year-old enrolled at Gwinnett Technical College where she plans to double major in nursing and surgical technology. She'll graduate with a degree in two years and without any loans to pay back.

"When I was in high school I was hooked on going to a university, but when it came down to it, it just wasn't what I wanted or what I could afford," Morgan said. "I don't know where I want to be in the medical field but they have enough courses that I can explore to see what I like best. It got even better when I saw that I could do all that there and not have any debt when I leave."

Morgan belongs to one of the fastest growing groups of students attending the Technical College System of Georgia. The system's 26 campuses enrolled 190,842 students during the 2010 fiscal year -- an increase of 22 percent over last year's figures and a new record, according to data released Monday.

Much of the increase can be attributed to the recession as thousands of out-of-work and underemployed adults returned to school in search of new careers, Commissioner Ron Jackson said. For example, enrollment among students 40 and older increased by 32 percent to 31,262, according to the figures.

But another sizable increase came from traditional students -- those 25 and under -- showing that the system has become a first-choice for many recent high school graduates. Enrollment among students 21 and under increased by 11 percent to 46,910. The number of students between the ages of 21 and 25 increased by 22 percent to 46,377.

Jackson and others have increased outreach to high schools and guidance counselors in recent years.

"The word is getting out that this is not your daddy's technical school," Jackson said.

A technical college was among the 10 most popular choices for students from 165 of the state's 181 school districts between 2000 and 2007, according to a report released last fall by the Governor's Office of Student Achievement. It was the top choice in 62 districts.

Morgan said she got some push-back from her mother, who wondered if she wouldn't be happier at the University of Georgia.

"I told her that wasn't going to happen unless she gives me $20,000," Morgan joked, using an estimated figure to cover four years of tuition.

Tuition at the technical colleges costs about $2,400 a year, with much paid through state and federal grants. Morgan received money from Georgia's HOPE and the federal Pell grants to pay for all of her schooling.

"I'm excited by this and it is not a bad decision," she said. "When I get out in two years I'll get a job, and then I can save money so I can go back to school. I could go to medical school and become a surgeon."

While more recent high school graduates have enrolled in the technical colleges, adults who were laid off have also returned to school.

Vanessa Lyons was working as a certified nursing assistant when her company went out of business in October 2009. She enrolled in the practical nursing program at Atlanta Technical College and plans to graduate in about 6 months.

"As a CNA I made enough to keep above water, but it wasn't enough to be successful," Lyons, 48, said. "I wanted a better career and wanted to improve my lifestyle. I want to be able to retire someday."

Jackson said growth among students like Lyons will eventually stabilize. But that won't happen for awhile as unemployment rates continue to increase and experts predict a slow economic recovery, he said.

Posted via email from Jim Nichols for Senate Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment