Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Jeffares, Hilton to spar again in run-off

There will be a run-off in the Republican race to fill the District 17 state Senate post to be vacated by John Douglas after he left to pursue his run for Public Service Commission.

Nicholas Day beat Jim Nichols 4,207 to 2,508 on the Democratic ticket and won Walton County 67 to 32 percent.

The district encompasses Social Circle.

Republican Todd Hilton, the top vote getter who earned 45 percent of the vote in Walton County, will face Rick Jeffares once again in the Aug. 10 Republican run-off. Ester Fleming Jr. placed third in the three-man race.

“I didn’t think we could work any harder than we did, but we are going to have to again,” said Jeffares, a 46-year-old owner of J&T Environmental Services and former Henry County commissioner from Locust Grove. “We’re not going to stop take a day or two and put a plan and to get right back on it. I just want to thank everyone for coming out today. I think the voters of District 17 did a pretty good job.”

Jeffares, of Locust Grove, said he sees transportation, education and water as his main concerns facing the district and said the state needs to operate with limited government by cutting wasteful spending and keeping our tax burdens low.

Hilton, a Covington resident who teaches in Social Circle, has campaigned on returning control of schools from state hands to local school boards.

“I think what motivated to vote for me was my message and it wasn’t the typical political answers,” he said. “I just told my story and it resonated with the people. I hope we have an opportunity for us to be together and have people see us side-by-side and compare. There has not been one bit of negativity between the two of us.”

Nichols, a 29-year-old United Parcel Service truck loader from Stockbridge, earned an associate’s degree in political science from American River College. He is currently attending Georgia State University, working on a double major in economics and philosophy.

Nichols could not be reached for comment.

Grrr... I missed his call, as the Roy Barnes party was rocking pretty loud. Called him right back but couldn't catch him in time.  Sigh... I hate to miss a quote opportunity. 
 
What I would have said was...  "voters on both sides of the aisle are unhappy with the status quo, and believe its time to shake things up in Atlanta.  Voters want something other than the average politician and I think my win tonight was proof of that."

Posted via email from Jim Nichols for Senate Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment