Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Douglas to run for PSC, Lunsford considers Senate

I had just filled out my intent for Senate district 17, currently held by John Douglas, when I got a call from a politico I know telling me that John Douglas was out...
 
Here's the word over at Jason Pye's blog 

Despite qualifying yesterday for a fourth term in the State Senate, John Douglas has decided to change gears and run for the Public Service Commission (District 2).

Bobby Baker, who currently holds the seat, has decided to retire, during the week of qualifying no less, leaving the GOP looking for a candidate.

State Rep. John Lunsford (R-McDonough) has confirmed that he is looking at the seat Douglas will leave open. I've put a call into Douglas, but the Senate was in session at the time so he could not be reached for comment.

It'd be strange for a politician to look for a promotion from House to Senate when the General Assembly has been utterly dysfunctional and state government is being run into the ground.  Usually in the real world, you get fired when you aren't doing a good job. Maybe Lunsford wants to try and buck that trend?  But then again I've learned over the last 500 days of campaigning for office that politics has nothing to do with the real world.  
 
I look forward to a fun campaign whomever runs--Democrat or Republican. 
 
I'll be paying my qualifying fees on Thursday morning.  I get off of work about 8:30am or so and will head up to the Gold Dome directly. 

Posted via email from Jim Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment