Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thank You!

As some of you may know already I've decided to end my campaign for State House in district 109.  I announced over 500 days before the election because I knew it would take a whole lot of work, time, and effort to build a team needed to win.  Steve Davis has had an appalling voting record as a State Legislator and has been a key figure in creating Grid Lock at the Gold Dome--especially on the issue of transportation reform and the budget. 
 
The fact that I was unable to locate anyone to run last year after I became Chair was truly one of my biggest failures during my year as Chairman in 2008.  I was committed to making sure we didn't make the same mistake in 2010 but I've just been unable to get the traction (read: money) need for me to legitimately consider committing and 110% of my time to this effort.  I just can't justify the time and effort needed--especially for a job that pays less than a McDonalds cashier. Putting my academic career on hold and further eroding my once pretty good GPA just isn't a realistic step for me as I have obligations to my family and to myself. 
 
The reality the money never came which is a pretty good indicator that my campaign skill sets aren't up to par and my viability is at least seen by some as in question.  I trust their judgement but I also know that 9 out of 10 campaigns are won by the candidate with the most money and though I already had volunteers joining me to knock on doors and make phone calls I know in my heart my campaign isn't up to the task.
 
The slow but heavy weight of politics takes it toll on anyone and everyone that sacrifices for the greater good of a functioning democratic process.  Personally its really a question of short-term vs. long-term.  As Ice-T once said life ain't a track meet its a marathon (and I'm sure you all remember the song right? right?). 
 
Political engagement is a long term obligation for all of us and I fear that this campaign would burn me out and create tensions that could cause me to walk away from the political process.  I have too much to learn and too many positive things that I can contribute that there is no reasons to waste my time money and resources when I can be helping other worthy candidates who are stepping up to the plate.
 
Candidates like Rj Hadley who is running US and Dr. Beth Farokhi who is running for State School Superintendent have my support... and by support I don't mean "support."  I mean that they both have $25 dollar checks coming next month from me and they both have someone who will show up when asked, make the calls and knock on the doors needed so that we can win in 2010.  By we I mean all of us who believe that we have an obligation to protect and empower our fellow citizens and work towards creating an efficient, effective government, that represents and is responsive to its citizens.  But most importantly they have my gratitude and appreciation for inspiring me to believe that good people, committed to bringing about positive change, can make a difference.
 
To my friends, family, and supporters I hope you understand my decision. 
 
The challenges we face in our state and nation are enormous and we can only begin to address them one step at a time--there is no time to be wasted as many people in our communities are struggling---due to policy blunders and political ineptitude all the way up the chain. 
 
I am a child of the Reagan Generation so I'm used to broken dysfunctional Government.  One thing I've learned over 29 years is that Good Government isn't an end to work towards but a constant struggle that never ends.  While I'm disappointed I wasn't able to accomplish my goal and tripped up well before the finish line I know walking away now is the smartest most realistic move I can make.
 
Thanks for your support...  I'll keep blogging... I'll keep being my same politically incorrect self, I'll keep working on my degrees in economics and philosophy and GA State, I'll keep growing and learning, and I'll keep standing with leaders like  who deserve all the time and energy I can sacrifice--so that together we can bring about a Government that protects and empowers its citizens.
 
Its 3:30am, I'm late for work, I have an economics mid-term at 6pm tonight I have to study for...
 
“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.” -- Samuel Beckett
 
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."  Douglas Adams
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Posted via email from Jim Nichols for GA State House

No comments:

Post a Comment