Friday, July 26, 2013

Marketplace interview with Dexter Holland of The Offspring.

So the Marketplace interview with Dexter Holland made my day yesterday: AIDS research, punk rock and hot sauce on the side



I always forget that while Rancid's Out Come the Wolves is probably the more appropriate album to label Jim's first I'm a punk rocker album, it was the summer of '94 when Offspring's Smash and Green Day's Dookie were the only things I listening on constant rotation to as I hung out at my Grandmother's house all summer by the pool.

The punk rock scowls you are giving me now speak to the fact that you forget I was 14.  It was a quintessential moment of puberty and pop culture merging which has been happening all across suburban America for decades now--just check out Tumblr.

Smash still holds up to me in the "Teenage Angst"--suburban American decline kinda way--because it is embedded in so much of a very pivotal transition in my own life as I started to see the bigger picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment