Friday, October 22, 2010

Job duty #1 of a Representative of the people: Show Up

Attended the Walton County Chamber of Commerce Forum last night.  Once again Rick was a no show.  

I'm sensing a pattern with Rick. South Rockdale Civic Association Forum? Rick's a no show. Newton County Chamber of Commerce Forum? Ricks a no show.  Henry County Chamber of Commerce Forum?  Ricks a no show.  Rockdale Chamber of Commerce Forum?  Ricks a no show.  Walton County Chamber of Commerce Forum?  Ricks a no show.

If he had missed one, or maybe two, of these I'd concede that things happen in the real world. But Ricks failure to show up to answer the questions of voters just because he knows he's got an R beside his name and I have a D, just because he's out raised me 6 to 1 is just one more example that he's just another career bureaucrat in it for the job title and pay check--not the actual job of representing the people.

Jub duty #1 of a Representative of the people is to show up. 

Answering citizens questions about the issues and challenges our state faces is an obligation of elected officials.  Especially at a time of great cynicism and apathy, we need leaders that meet their end of the bargain.  Politicians aren't obligated to have all of the answers---there are too many issues for any one person to be an expert on everything.  But if our elected officials don't answer questions, give feedback, provide context, and give their opinions about what is going on and how we address the challenges we face how will we ever end the cycle of broken government?  

If politicians are black box whose opinions and points of view are unknown until the votes are cast voters have no idea what their elected official will do during crunch time when bills are flying back and forth.  

Can my elected officials do the right thing when it counts? When lobbyist and ideologues are trying to sneak in legislation through amendments, clever language, or unfortunate loopholes in procedure or the law?  I'd like to think so and I hope I have lived up to that bargain during this campaign.

Thats the difference between myself and no-show Rick.  I jumped into my campaign to reach the Gold Dome over 500 days ago because I felt an obligation to the voters.  I felt obligated to allow them to engage me on the campaign trail at public forums and via online social networking platforms so that they could better understand my positions, what I stand for, and what my opinions on the issues that matter are.  By doing this I have learned about the thoughts and concerns of citizens, I have learned areas where I need to "beef up" my background knowledge on the nuances of policy.  

Representing the people should be an organic process, a process of give and take between constituents and their elected officials.  When politicians don't even take the time to show up they have no idea what the voters are actually thinking, the issues voters are concerned about, and ways that they may better represent the people when if comes times to write and pass legislation.

When it comes to job duty #1. Its not even a contest.  Voters can count on me to show up for them--in the community and at the Gold Dome--every single time.

Please contribute online and help me get my campaigns message out to voters. 

No-show Rick thinks that I won't be able to reach enough voters between now and election day.  With your contribution of $5, $10, $25....($250????) we can make the voters contacts we need to make so that we reach 50% + 1 of the vote on election night. 

If you'd like to volunteer over the last 11 days email us at info@jimnicholsforsenate.com you can make calls from home or at the campaign office.  Louis and I are working hard to keep up with everyones volunteer request.  If we haven't gotten back to you yet, or you need more phone calls to make shoot us another email. 

I can't do it without you.  But together we can begin the long process of taking back our government from the career politicians and bureaucrat that have created the mess we are now in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment