Wednesday, April 22, 2009

on the dad front...


The Dad just got a job working on a world bank project and is headed to Kabul

About two years I did some work for the IFC’s Manila mission, working in conjunction with my colleague Grace Yeneza. The IFC asked us to conceptualize several alternative interventions for their consideration to help strengthen the electric cooperative sector here in the Philippines. One or more of these were to be undertaken by the IFC as a pilot project initiative for possible expansion across the country.

I now have an opportunity, working through World Bank, to help conceptualize several alternative initiatives to increase access to grid electricity supply in peri-urban and near-grid areas of Afghanistan! Two of these are to be chosen and implemented as pilot projects.

A teenie weenie bit more challenging - given that we have to give consideration to the realities of the situation in Afghanistan. I’m sure I don’t need to enumerate them for you; you can imagine.

My son said this was just about the most punk rock thing I could possibly do at my age.

Wednesday I fly to Delhi for 2-3 days of meetings and to get my Afghani visa. Then to Kabul. Back in Manila on May 4th. It’s a fifteen calendar-month effort, but just part time on my part.

I continue my role on the NRECA project that is implementing pilot initiatives at three Philippine electric cooperatives focused on reducing technical losses and my on-going advisory to my other Philippine clients regarding markets, pricing , and regulation.

You can follow his trip on FriendFeed here

Posted via web from jimnichols's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment