Wednesday, February 9, 2011

During break between classes some GSU students go to the library...

...some students go get coffee, and some of us run down the street to attend the Budget and Fiscal Affairs oversight committee hearing over at the Gold Dome.

Chairman Mathis was gracious enough to allow time for public comment so that I could speak on HB 33 the zero based budgeting bill.  Here was my last post on zero-based and the issue of rent dissapation; here was my post on SB 1 which was vetoed by Gov. Perdue (and which the senate voted to override it this session).

When I spoke with Chairman Martin after the hearing we discussed what Gov. Perdue meant when he stated that the General Assembly was already able to apply zerobased budgeting approach if they so wished; neither of us were sure what he meant by that.  That's I guess where I'll look next as every dollar counts in our state budget and I'm the last person who wants to see us waste resources in the name of cutting waste.

A positive side note is that there was mention of the potential of changing the language to every six years rather than every 4; that would be an improvement worth making if the bill is going to pass. 

Also for housekeeping, most of my posts on state politics go through this blog feed (my former state senate campaign blog lives on!) for those who may only want to read/avoid state news.

No comments:

Post a Comment