Friday, October 10, 2008

Friedrich Daniel Ernst Schleiermacher (1768–1834)

I asked Pacini the other day about Schleiermacher, because he had talked about him in his book. His description made me feel intrigued and so I went a looking today...

Came upon the Boston Collaborative Encyclopedia of Western Theology overview of him.

The quote at the end of this paragrah rings loud and true with me...

he began to read writers such as Kant and Spinoza. Despite his enthusiastic engagement with Enlightenment thinkers, Schleiermacher did go on to receive ordination, though not without a reconceptualization of his relationship to pietism and his community of faith. At one point he wrote his father: “…I may say that after all I have passed through I have become a Moravian again, only of a higher order.” (Livingston, 94)
The idea of a higher order... that somehow I have passed through many views since a young child. I have come full circle and am yet not to anyone in terms of enlightenment language or modern manifestations of the church and religon.

Where does one roam, when one has no home... ahh yes these are times when I must turn again to Nietzsche! My good friend! My long time guide...

No comments:

Post a Comment