Friday, July 24, 2009

Jim in 2010? Not without your help!

Every day I go in to my job at UPS where I load trucks.  I watch my co-workers show up to work at 3:45am and work hard for the next 4 hours.  From there they go on to second jobs, schools, or home to try and raise their kids the best they can.  They are doing their best to play by the rules, yet they continue to fall farther behind and they know it.  
 
They have no faith that politicians will ever represent their interest over those with the money to "buy" campaigns. 
 
From work, I head up to GA State where i'm working on a degree in Philosophy.  On campus I see young people struggling to pay for school, get good grades, and start a career--while they work part time and take on student loans that swallow the next decade of their income.  I see returning students like myself who are trying to get a degree after the fact--playing catch up in an economy that can quickly leave you behind--with jobs, family, and obligations that stretch them thin.  But they stay up that extra hour because they want to provide a better life for their families.
 
For the past year as Chairman of the Henry County Democrats I met hard working citizens all over Henry County who keep asking for better transportation, better education for their kids, and a better economy that lifts all boats.
 
Working as a legislative aide the past two years I've seen up close and personal the gridlock at the Gold Dome that has allowed our state to fall behind.  And I'm fed up...
 
That why I decided that despire the odds I had to run for State House. 
 
As a member of Democracy for America I'm passionately committed to grassroots activism, I've been trained on how to win campaigns on the ground, and having run a State Senate Campaign last year I know what it takes.
 
 
But I can't win alone.  I can't change the fact that 9 out of 10 races are won by the candidate that raises the most money. 
 
I can only ask for your support.  Together we can bring Georgia one step closer to a more equitable economy that protects and empowers its citizens.  Together we can start to rebuild trust in our government, that it can represent working families and strengthen our middle class.
 
Why am I asking for your support?
 
Look at my opponent on the  minimum wage:
 
If we are really concerned about the income of the workers at a minimum-wage job, we should propose cutting or eliminating the state income tax.

Look at my opponent on unions, racial equality, and families:
 
Today is the 17th legislative day of the session. It is called Family Day so that legislators can bring their wives and kids up for the day and show our family atmosphere. However I do not bring my family due to the spectacle presented by the fringe groups in front of our children. You have Labor Unions, “Working Families” wanting minimum wage increases, marches for racial equality, and the worst is GSLBT groups that try to prove they are families too(by exposing our young children to them kissing and holding hands). I will just say that I am very passionate about the issues but I did not get into politics to expose my children to adult issues. It is a shame that these groups try to exploit this event the way they do.
I'm asking for your support because together we can get this community, this state, and this nation headed in the right direction again.  Conservative Republicans like Steve Davis have done a lot of damage to our economy over the past decade--2010 is the year we turn things around here in GA!
 
The July fundraising "ask" is $25.
 
Can I count on your support?  My opponent raised $15,000 this month in a golf tournament.
 
Can I count on you for $25?
 
Please send contributions; with your name, address, occupation and employer to
 
The Committee to Elect Jim Nichols
217 Turnstone Rd.
Stockbridge, GA 30281
 
I am working on setting up an online contribution site asap.  But please contribute what you can today.
 
Together we can do great things!
 

Posted via email from Jim Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment