Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Don't believe everything you read in the Newspaper...

Its an obvious truism but I just wanted to point out an example.
 
I'm still quoted in the Henry Daily Herald as saying that Henry County ranked 37th in the world for health care!
 
On a national level, Nichols said, problem areas needing to be addressed are health-care costs and the need for health-care reform. The national health-care issue is reflected at the local level, he said. "Here in Henry County, we rank 37th in the world when it comes to quality of health care," he said. "If we don't get control of health-care costs, we won't get control of the budget deficit."

I didn't start the statement with "here in henry"  I said "we" because she had moved us on to national politics.  I said we rank 37th in the world, which impact folks on the ground here in Henry.  I contacted them on Friday morning when I got home from work.  I got a call back late in the afternoon. 
 
It was an honest mistake, I know newspapers are already stretched thin as it is.  And I feel kind of bad for pointing it out, but i'm a blogger!  Its what i've been doing for a long time.  Actually its kind of funny when you read it because its really an incoherent statement.  What does it mean?  I dunno...
 
I'm going to write a letter to the editor to clarify my point.  But hopefully they'll correct the online version soon.
 
Anyways don't believe everything you read in the paper...
 
Here is the World Health Organization's study that I mentioned, The world health report 2000 - Health systems: improving performance

We were 37th for overall performance, in between Slovenia and Costa Rica.

For more on Health Care you can go to CBPP: Insuring All Americans: Critical to an Efficient, High Quality Health Care System

--
James A. Nichols IV
cell: (770) 312-6736
Jim.Nichols@gmail.com
www.JimNichols4.com

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."     ---Calvin Coolidge (1872 - 1933)

"I have come to the conclusion that politics are too serious a matter to be left to the politicians."    Charles De Gaulle (1890 - 1970)

Posted via email from jimnichols's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment