Friday, July 22, 2011

‪Theodor Adorno - Music and Protest‬‏

Doug Henwood of LBO fame posted this Adorno video to his Facebook Page commenting, "Adorno explains why protest music is so bad."

Some thoughts popped up because of this.  

1) The importance of music in sustaining human beings--who are political actors
2) Even if radical music really existed it would be necessary to abolish it

1) I'm bipolar and struggle for a number of years early in my life.  "Radical [sic] Music" in many ways sustained me and kept me struggling through.  

From dropping out of high school to going in an out of psychiatric wards music and the things I took away from from it kept my sense of identity in tact and kept me plugging away.  

If I had to pick one person that inspired me more than any other to run for State Senate (or help organize the anti war movement on my college campus in run up to Iraq II, or start up an Amnesty International on campus) it'd be Steve Ignorant.  Maybe radical music is a contradiction, a tragedy, a farce.  But human beings are political actors, life is tragedy/farce, and sometimes we need a commodity/soundtrack to what we do as we perpetuate decline.

2) Punk is dead

No comments:

Post a Comment