Saturday, October 29, 2011

File under should have saw that coming...

Here were the graphics I brought with me (via CBO) this morning for CNN...

Growth in Real After-Tax Income from 1979 to 2007

CBO finds that between 1979 and 2007:

  • For the 1 percent of the population with the highest income, average real after-tax household income grew by 275 percent (see figure below).
  • For others in the 20 percent of the population with the highest income, average real after-tax household income grew by 65 percent.
  • For the 60 percent of the population in the middle of the income scale, the growth in average real after-tax household income was just under 40 percent.
  • For the 20 percent of the population with the lowest income, the growth in average real after-tax household income was about 18 percent.
-----
I also gave them this graph from The Economist:

They pushed back the segment as it was unclear if another activist was coming as well or not so I figured all was okay.  

Then a little voice in my ear as we are going live says--- "we weren't able to use your graphs" and we go right in to a Kasim Reed vs. OccupyAtlanta.  So I was caught off guard and had to change the game plan of how to introduce economic inequality and the massive transfer of wealth that's been going on in this country into the interview. 

I shouldn't have been thrown off, but nothing about the conversations or the pre-interview questions gave me the impression of going that direction and then I'm told we aren't using the graphics as we go live.  I sort of flubbed my way back to the core issues. Oh well.   Not one of my finer moments of clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment