Thursday, September 1, 2011

You might be a capitalist if...

I'm still trying to flesh this out in a more substantive way but I think one of the aspects of Marx that is misunderstood by people is what the bourgeoisie vs. proletariat dynamic looks like.  

I think the emphasis--especially in the neoliberal age of financialization--should be put on the different dynamics of the social relations that people have as they go about their day to day lives.

I think a lot of people take the position---"we'll i've got stocks and a 401k.  I'm an investor; I'm a capitalist!" 

Um.  No, you aren't.

A quick rule of thumb.  You might be a capitalist if...  you want to invest in some shares of a bank, so you get your assistant to put in a call to the CEO of Bank of America and he quickly calls you back to make a deal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment