Monday, February 8, 2010

Campaign journal 2.8.10 on the run...

Between work, class at GA State, I haven't had time to create as many youtube journal's as I've hoped.
 
My goal in creating youtube journals of the general assembly session and my campaign at large is to give you one persons perspective on the political process.
 
Hopefully I can inspire others to get involved and thats what this journal entry was about--on creating positive political discourse.  I tried to write a script a few times--as I hoped to add more about whats going on in the session but I've been stuck on the challenge/question of political engagement. 
 
So I decided to go ahead and speak my mind--hopefully I'll come back to this and create a more coherent streamlined piece.  But this is a first draft--I'm just thinking outloud!  Thats what i've been campaigning on after all. 
 
When politicians think out loud the voters have an opportunity to share thoughts, ideas, articles, and information that can help make me a better representative.  That way you know how I reach the conclusions I reach, why I hold the positions I hold, and places where my ideas or positions could be improved or even changed.
 
I just wanted to take a moment in starting my day to ask you to roll up your sleeve and get involved...
 
There is a feeling of distrust and apathy that can only be overcome through engagement and education but time and time again I've come across people with a lot of anger at the process but no engagement or interest in actually rolling up their sleeves. 
 
Between reading Arendt's truth in politics and watching some good people on all sides of the political spectrum giving a 100% while far too many people are sitting back I wanted to make an "ask."
 
In a number of political trainings I've been to tell you that you always have to make an "ask" so that people know there are things that need to be done and that you hope you can count on their help.
 
So my ask for the day is to do something.  Read an article in the paper and email it to a friend telling them what you think about the article or what that issue matters to you.  Set up a house party for later on in the month to talk with friends and neighbors about the budget cuts and ways that people can get involved.  I don't really have the answers but I trust in individuals to come together to help find solutions.
 
So sorry for the ramble---but then again thats what a journal is about.
 
Anyways go do something today to help break the cycle of apathy, and frustration; do something to improve the political discourse.
 
--Jim 


Posted via email from Jim Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment