Friday, November 6, 2009

Gays aren't families...[sic]

A picture speaks a thousand words...  "the gays aren't families"????

 
Image: Gay marriage supporters
 
 
I was reading an story on the repeal of the gay-marriage law in Maine this week 
This picture kind of ripped at my heart... and it brings up a separate question I've been wanting to address.  Are homosexuals in long term monogamous relationships families?  To many of you I'm sure this seems like a really strange question for me to be asking.  But I wanted to post on it because my State Representative, Steve Davis, says no they are not families. 
 
I'd link you to his blog post directly for this quote but for some reason its not up right now.  So I'll link to a post on this from Blog for Democracy:
Today is the 17th legislative day of the session. It is called Family Day so that legislators can bring their wifes [sic] and kids up for the day and show our family atmosphere. However I do not bring my family due to the spectacle presented by the fringe groups in front of our children. You have Labor Unions, "Working Families" wanting minimum wage increases, marches for racial equality, and the worst is GSLBT [sic] groups that try to prove they are families too(by exposing our young children to them kissing and holding hands). I will just say that I am very passionate about the issues but I did not get into politics to expose my children to adult issues. It is a shame that these groups try to exploit this event the way they do.
I'm going to pass over the other reasons why family day is exploited and inappropriate for his children and just stick to the issue of whether Gay Lesbian Bisexual and Transgendered (GLBT) couples can be a family . Go look at the Definition of family real quick for context...
  
Steve Davis' position is that homosexuals aren't families.  That's a radical position.
 

Posted via email from Jim Nichols

1 comment:

  1. Jim, as long as people use their reasoning like you do I have lots of hope for this world.

    ReplyDelete