Thursday, October 16, 2008

I hate being disingenuous and ignorant... at least i'm not alone...

I started reading the Henry Citizen Newsletter a local email newsletter here in Henry.

In response to a letter I sent in, I get this:
Anyone who believes that the Bush Administration, or Lynn Westmoreland, has been deregulating the economy is not doing their homework. George Mason University recently found that the Bush Administration has “presided over the largest increase in regulatory spending.” And, “the President’s 2002 and 2003 regulatory budgets were among the 10 biggest annual increases in regulatory spending in the last 60 years.” In 2009, the federal government will spend $51 billion on regulation. It is disingenuous and ignorant for anyone to suggest that we are in an era of deregulation.
Qua?

I didn't have the time to dig deep into what is obviously a rather strange argument (we haven't seen deregulation over the past 30 years?) would be interesting to see more in depth.

Anyways I came across this today and it reminded me how I'm not the only one fooled by the policies over the past 30 years...

30year deregulation era dies a sudden death

It's the Deregulation, Stupid

House Republicans defend deregulation

So I had to clarify my understanding of the terms since so many of us are disingenuous and ignorant.

dis·in·gen·u·ous (dsn-jny-s)
adj.
1. Not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating: "an ambitious, disingenuous, philistine, and hypocritical operator, who ... exemplified ... the most disagreeable traits of his time" David Cannadine.
2. Pretending to be unaware or unsophisticated; faux-naïf.
3. Usage Problem Unaware or uninformed; naive.


ig·no·rant (gnr-nt)
adj.
1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

No comments:

Post a Comment